With the arrival of the New Year, many business owners are excited with how much they’ve grown, and can’t wait to see what 2014 brings. A New Year usually means new goals for a business, and generally speaking these goals usually involve the question of, “How can I reach more people and spend less money doing it?”
Here are a few simple steps to market your business with the tools you already have:
- Website Development: If you already run a successful business, chances are you already have a website. Take a look at it. Is it esthetically pleasing? Does it convey a message? Is it easy to find and locate everything? Now, have a friend look at it. Ask them for recommendations on what they would change. Having a fresh set of eyes to view the part of your business that is open to customers 24/7/365 can really help ensure you are getting the most bang for your buck with your website. Does this mean you need an entirely new website? Probably not, but a few small adjustments can make a world of difference in your online presence.
- Search Engine Optimization: Now that we know what you want your website to look like, the next step is ensuring that people can actually find it. Try this: Do a google search of the product or service that you offer in your location. For example, “Pembroke Ontario Plumbers” Is your name at the top of the list? If not, have no fear - There are ways to optimize the chances that your website will reach the top of the list. Because if people can’t find you, what is the point of even having this website?
- Responsive Web Design: First of all, what does this mean? It means that whether I open your website on the screen of a tablet, a tiny cell phone, or a 17-inch computer monitor, it will adjust to fit my screen perfectly. In today’s busy world, people simply won’t take the time to re-size, scroll, and adjust their screens. In most cases, they’ll just go to the next website in their list. A quick adjustment to the website you already have, and voila! You’ll have people reading about you on the transit bus, in the office, everywhere.
- Photography & Videography: Let’s face it – We are a generation of visual people. Everyone seems to have a camera these days, and imagery is more popular than ever. What does this mean? Well, if you own a restaurant that makes the best pizza in town, grab your camera and snap some pictures! If you’re a travel agent, entice people with a photo of someone reading a book on a beautiful, white sandy beach. Adding pictures to your current website, e-mail newsletter or Facebook page can make you that much harder to forget.
- Social Media: The world of Social Media has multiplied exponentially over the past 10 years. On average, a person will check their Facebook page 6 times per day. Having a presence in the wonderful world of Facebook is a FREE marketing tool that can help engage your followers and be a constant reminder of your presence. Many of you will read this and think, “As a business owner, where in the heck am I going to find the time to update Facebook several times per week?” Have no fear my entrepreneurial gurus, many web developers will include the management of your Facebook page as part of your web development package. And don’t forget that there is more to the web than just Facebook! Think Pinterest, LinkedIn, Twitter – The list goes on.
Ensure that you are making the most of these FREE Marketing tools without having to break the bank! By 2015, you’ll be glad you did!
Written by Michelle Breau